Started working on the XY core Shapeoko i mentioned in the previous blog post. I love the mechanical simplicity of it. First step i took was designing and testing a carriage platform for the x and y axis. I started by measuring the distance between the holes on the standard Shapeoko gantry plates. I used this distance to optimally place the holes on a square block. I printed a number of these gradually changing the sizes to compensate for the shrinkage of the plastic. Eventually i had a smooth sliding carriage block. After this i started laying out the parts in Solidworks. Still very incomplete for now! So will continue the work!